Do you live in areas where you have hot and humid days? Would you like to keep the rooms you live in cool all day and night? Could it be that your central system is not cooling some of the rooms? Or you do not even want to turn on the central system? Then you need the Best & Smallest Window Air Conditioner on the market to get those small spaces comfortably cool.
In this guide;
|Name||BTU||Room size||AC size|
|hOme 5000 BTU||5000||150||16W,15.4D,12H|
|LG LW6017R||6000||260||17 5/16W, 14 3/8D, 11 1/8H|
|Frigidaire FFRE0533S1||5000||150||15.25"W, 13"D,12H|
|Frigidaire FFRE0833S1||8000||350||18.5 W, 17.5D, 13.4" H|
So, what should you consider when choosing the best & smallest window air conditioner?
quiet operation and effortless restart
The air conditioning unit BTU
The BTU (British Thermal Units) is a basic measure of thermal energy and determines the capacity of your AC unit. The more the BTU, the bigger the AC unit size and weight.
Your room size vs the AC unit BTU
Calculate the room size in square feet. Multiply the length and width to get the square footage. To determine the BTUs needed to optimally cool the room. The following table is a guide on the room size vs the BTUs. Also consider the other factors listed below the table to objectively determine the BTU requirement.
|Area To Be Cooled (Sq. Ft.)||Capacity Needed (BTUs Per Hour)|
|100 to 150 sq. ft.||5,000 BTUs|
|150 to 250 sq. ft.||6,000 BTUs|
|250 to 300 sq. ft.||7,000 BTUs|
|300 to 350 sq. ft.||8,000 BTUs|
|350 to 400 sq. ft.||9,000 BTUs|
|400 to 450 sq. ft.||10,000 BTUs|
|450 to 550 sq. ft.||12,000 BTUs|
|550 to 700 sq. ft.||14,000 BTUs|
|700 to 1,000 sq. ft.||18,000 BTUs|
|1,000 to 1,200 sq. ft.||21,000 BTUs|
|1,200 to 1,400 sq. ft.||23,000 BTUs|
Apart from the room square footage, adjust the BTU capacity as under;
- Increase the BTU if the ceiling height is more than the normal 8 feet
- Are you more than 2 people in the room? For every additional person, increase by 600 BTUs.
- Is the window AC unit being installed in the kitchen, increase by 4000 BTUs.
- If your room enjoys more sunlight, increase the BTU by 10%
The environment the AC will operate in
Some of the factors to take into consideration include the amount of sunlight and thus heat the room is receiving. This will be determined by the number of windows and the direction they face.
North facing windows are in shade whereas western facing windows receive most sunlight. Whether the room exterior has a shade or not also determines the amount of heat received.
Keeping the exterior of the room you’re cooling shaded will help the air conditioner keep you cool, but make sure that airflow around the exterior of the unit is not restricted by trees, shrubs or other obstructions.
Your electrical power specifications
Know your specifications and ensure that your choice AC unit plug is compatible with your outlet. Also confirm that the circuit can handle the additional power requirement to prevent circuit breaks.
The Energy Efficiency
Be on the look-out for energy star rating and /or energy efficiency ratio of your best & smallest window air conditioner on the market. The higher the EER, the more efficient the Window AC unit. The Air Con units with an energy star rating may use 10% less energy.
Ensure that the filter can easily be accessed, removed, cleaned and reassembled.
You are likely to get a better performance if your window is centrally located on the wall.
Some are relatively quiet, others are loud especially when set on high. Depending on whether you are a light sleeper, the noise may be a lullaby or a distraction. A noisy Window AC unit may also be a distraction in an office.
How long is the warranty? The longer the warranty, the better.
Be on the look-out for these features that improve efficiency or make it more convenient to operate your Best & smallest window air conditioner on the market.
- What is the dehumidification capability per hour?
- Timers that allow you to set the time the small window AC unit can be operation e.g. just before you get home to when you are asleep
- Easy to use controls that may be mechanical or electronic. Electronic controls allow more flexibility.
- Does the Window AC unit has remote controlthat allows you to control settings from anywhere in the room?
- A sleep mode where the AC unit increases the temperature gradually as the room occupant is sleeping. This subsequently reducing pressure on the compressor and the noise in the room.
- Be on the look-out for a filter alert that signals the need for cleaning.
- Does the window AC unit have an electronic ionizer assist the AC to more efficiently remove impurities from the air?
- What are the venting options? Is it to recirculate room air, pull in air from outside or exhaust room air outside?
- Observe the length of the power cord. The longer, the better.
Frigidaire FFRE0533S1 5,000 BTU 115V: Best & Smallest Window Air Conditioner on the market with Full Function Remote Control
Air conditioner size
Cabinet Height: 12″, Cabinet Depth (w/ Front): 15-1/4″, Cabinet Depth: 13″
The Window measurement should be width 23″ – 36″ and height 13″.
The 5000BTU unit keeps your up to150 square feet room cool and nice.
This light small AC unit is easy to install with and comes with expandable side panels. It comes with the window mounting kit.
This unit quickly and efficiently cools your room quickly. You can control the fan from three settings .Make use of the digital controls to set the desired coolness. You can direct airflow to desired target.
Dehumidifies up to 1.1 pints per hour
Frigidaire FFRE0533S1 window Aircon unit has safety certifications from UL/CUL (SA11087), ENERGY STAR and is UL Listed.
The air conditioning unit has a 2016 energy star and a 12.2 energy efficiency Ratio (EER).
The Low power start-up and operation will conserves energy as well as save money.
The Timer allows you to set up when you want the conditioner off and on. You may time the AC unit to switch on just before bedtime and off when asleep.
You get a 1 year full warranty/5 Year Sealed System.
With the Timer, you can set the desired cooling duration.
The Remote control is a great plus for convenience
- Easy install
- Relatively quiet
- Small and light to easily store as it takes little space
- Multidirectional vent direction
- Though relatively quiet some light sleepers find the noise distracting their sleep.
Air conditioner size
This window air conditioner measures 16” width, 12” height and 15.4”depth.
This best & smallest window air conditioner on the market ideally fits in windows whose width is between 23” – 36” and 13” minimum height.
Up to 150 square feet
This 5000 BTU window AC unit is light and easy to install. It requires a 110V/120V, 460 watts and 3 prong power outlet. You get a user guide to help you install this small AC unit. For easy installation, the package contains a support bracket, filter, window seal foam and side panel leaf covers.
This air conditioner cools your space in 10 MINUTES or less. To control the temperatures as desired, AC unit comes with 7 speeds, adjustable fan settings and two-way (side to side) airflow. The digital controls are easy to use.
This window Air con unit comes with a filter that can be warm water and dish soap washed. However, make sure the filter is completely dry before re-installation. Alternatively, vacuum clean the filter. It is recommended that you clean the filter every 2 weeks.
hOme 5000 BTU Window Mounted Air Conditioner has 11.1 EER energy efficiency.
You get a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee.
And a 2 year warranty plus six months extra when you register the AC unit.
You also get lifetime technical support.
- Great power from a small AC
- Well-built sturdy unit
- Small unobtrusive size
- The reusable filter is easily cleaned
- 2 year warranty and lifetime technical support
- Vent direction not multi directional
Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 5, 000 BTU 115V: Best & Smallest Window Air Conditioner on the market with Mechanical Controls
Air conditioner size
This small AC unit measures 16 inches width,15-1/4 inches deep and 12 inches height.
You can fit this small AC unit on a Window Height: 13″ and width 23″ – 36″
Up to 150 square feet
It is easy to install the unit. The package comes with a window mounting kit to install this 5,000 BTU mini-compact AC unit. The air conditioner uses the standard 115 V power outlet. You also get pleated quick side panels that you can extend to fit your window size. The extra-long cord (6′ (6-1/2′) makes it unnecessary to use an extension cord.
Make use of the easy to use mechanical rotary controls to adjust the 2 cooling speeds and the 2 fan speeds. The air direction is 2-way. With The Effortless™ Temperature Control, you set the temperature desired in the room. When you switch off the AC unit, the built in Effortless™ Restart will ensure the machine resumes operation at its previous settings the next time you switch it on.
You also get the room dehumidified up to 1.1 pints per hour.
Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 is a low power start-up AC with an Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) of 11.1.
You get to enjoy a healthier and cleaner air as the AC unit has a built in, slide out Effortless™ Clean Filter that filters air borne particles, odors and bacteria.
The warranty is 1 year / 5 year sealed system.
Quiet operation and effortless restart.
Safety Certification: UL/CUL (SA11087).
- Light, easy to install and remove for storage
- Mechanical controls easy to use
- As some users put it, “it packs a punch for such a little thing”
- The Effortless™ Temperature Control keeps room at coolness /warmth levels
- While it’s relatively quiet, some people still find the noise irritating. All the same, you will get used to the rhythm.
- No remote control
LG LW6017R 6,000 BTU 115V: Best & Smallest Window Air Conditioner on the market with a filter change indicator
Up to 260 square feet
Small Air conditioner size
The window AC unit measure Width-17 5/16″, Depth-14 3/8″ and Height-11 1/8″.
It is easy to install. Extend the side panels to fit into your window size
This 6,000 BTU air conditioning unit cools your 260 sq. ft. room and dehumidifies up to 1.8 pints per hour. For added advantage, the cold air is blown upwards and quickly circulated by the ceiling fan. You can set your desired temperatures via the 3 cooling speeds and 3 fan speeds. You also set the auto cool setting for cooling flexibility.
On cool mode, the air conditioning unit switches to fan when desired temperature is reached. The energy saving mode shuts off both cool air and fan when the desired temperature is reached and auto restarts when the temperature rises.
Should the unit be turned off, the small AC unit has an Auto restart built in.
With this unit, you get a 2 –way direction flow.
This small AC unit is an energy saver thus saving you money. The Energy Efficiency Ratio is CEER 11.3.
You get a 24-hour on and off timer for your convenience as well as helping you save on energy.
The remote is a plus when you choose this small air conditioner
There is a 1 year limited warranty on parts and labor.
A reusable filter located on the front is an added advantage and the unit has a filter change indicator..
- Efficient cooling performance
- Easy to use
- Can easily run off generator
- Relatively quiet
- Digital display location is not easily visible depending on how high the small window AC unit is installed
Frigidaire FFRE0833S1 8,000 BTU 115V: Best & Smallest Window Air Conditioner on the market with Temperature Sensing Remote Control
Air conditioner size
The window AC unit measures 13-7/16″ Height, 18-1/2″ Width and 17-1/2″ depth.
This room air conditioner serves a window height (min) of 14″, and width (min/max) of 23″/36″.
Up to 350 square foot
Used on a standard 115V electric power outlet, this 8000 BTU air conditioner is easily mounted on a window.
Frigidaire FFRE0833S1 quickly cools a room up to 350 sq. ft. and dehumidifies up to 1.7 pints per hour. Furthermore, the Ready-select electronic control allows you to decide on the desired temperatures.
You also get to choose from 3 cooling speeds, 3 fan speeds, Auto Cool mode, Energy Saver mode and Sleep Mode.
Moreover, with the Effortless temperature sensing remote control, you observe, set and maintain the desired room temperature from anywhere in the room.
With the 8-way air direction, you get to control where the cool air is directed.
2016 energy star
Energy Efficiency Ratio of 12
Set this small AC unit on the energy saving mode and save on electricity bills.
Also note that this best & smallest window air conditioner on the market can start on low power and thus conserves energy.
Use the Effortless temperature sensing remote control that has separate buttons and adjust the room temperature /fan speed as desired temp.
Do you suffer from allergies? The Clean air ionizer is a major plus as it eliminates pollen and other impurities from the air.
You set the time you want to have this AC unit on/ off using the 24-hour on/off timer.
And, you get a 1 year full warranty / 5 year sealed system.
Frigidaire FFRE0833S1 8,000 BTU has a UL/CUL (SA11087) Safety Certification, is UL listed and ENERGY STAR® Certified.
- Efficiently cools and lowers humidity
- Temperature sensing remote reads the actual room reading
- 24 hour on/ off timer
- Clean air ionizer a great plus for allergy sufferers
- 8 way airflow flexibility
- The high fan setting may be too noisy for some people
Immediately inspect the small window AC unit upon receipt
You better inspect for damages, defects or missing parts. This allows you to take advantage of the seller’s / manufacturer return policy.
Make the right choice of window
The direction of cold air flow will depend on window location. However, ensure that the cold air is directed to the center of the room for uniform conditioning.
- To prevent cutting your fingers on the back vent, get a good pair of leather gloves to wear when unpacking and moving the air conditioning unit.
- Make sure that the source of power is adequate for chosen AC
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to make sure that the unit is correctly installed secured
- Where the window size is bigger than the manufacturer’s recommendation, some users have used construction Styrofoam / thick Insulating foam board to fill in the gaps.
- Do not share the power outlet usage
- Save the carton for storage during winter
- Should you notice window vibration, the unit is not properly installed
- If you notice water dripping in the room, the AC unit needs to be tilted slightly to the outside to redirect water drain. Furthermore, if the unit is not properly tilted, stagnant water may build up in the air conditioning unit and that a perfect environment to grow mold
- Only operate when the side protective cover is in place.
- Not to be operated in a wet room such as bathroom or laundry
- When the AC unit is in operation, keep the window closed otherwise you may find the indoor wet
- To save on cost, maintain the set cooling mode and increase fan speed to get a feel of cooler air.
- Properly ventilate the room while the unit is in operation especially when the stove is also in use.
- Ensure that no obstacles are found around air inlets and outlets
- Some users indicate that a ceiling fan assists to distribute cold air from the small air conditioning units to keep rooms that are a little bigger than manufacturer recommendations cool.
- Do not direct airflow to pets or indoor plants
- Take care of the power cord and do not place it near flammable substances or place heavy objects on it. In case of damage, replace with the one recommended by the manufacturer
- To defrost cold coil run the fan mode for a while
- The water draining from the unit is contaminated and not fit for consumption
- Operate the other heat producing machines during the cool hours
Make sure you have properly grounded the AC unit and
Keep inspecting the external bracket to ensure that your best & smallest window air conditioner on the market is in good order to prevent the air conditioning unit from falling
Make sure you have switched off power and circuit breaker. Do not use water as it leaks into the machine and degrade insulation. In case water leaks in, switch off and contact your technician
Follow manufacture instruction on filter cleaning. Cleaning of filters is necessary as trapped particles may build up causing accumulation of frost on cooling coils.
Dust the unit with an oil free cloth or one that is dampened in a water and mild detergent solution. Wring out any excess water to prevent water leaking into the unit. Also avoid using harsh cleaners wax or polish
To prevent fires, avoid using extension cables and should the small AC unit have a heater, place it 2 feet away from combustible materials.
Cover gaps above or beside the air conditioning unit to prevent break in.
Should you concerned about the security of the small AC unit, screw the air conditioning unit on the window.
Also avoid using gasoline or other flammable substance near the air conditioner
For best effect, keep the rooms well insulated. You may use insulation plastic on windows.
On those days the temperature is 90 F. or higher, minimize the amount of direct sunlight coming through the windows. Close the window treatments such as blinds or curtains
Keep the external areas surrounding the AC unit clear of bushes or other items that may interfere with the AC unit.
Follow removal instruction and put the AC unit back to the original carton or cover with plastic.
You may have no control of the temperature outside your room. However, from the above listed AC units, you can choose the best & smallest window air conditioner on the market to suit your needs and pocket.
Have a comfortably cool day and night!